On this day :
1781 Victory at Yorktown, 1781 Cornwallis surrenders at Yorktown, 1982 John Z DeLorean is arrested in 24 million cocaine deal, 1864 Battle of Cedar Creek, 1958 The first Cold War worlds fair closes, 1982 John DeLorean is arrested for drug dealing, 1991 Fire sweeps through Oakland hills, 1812 Napoleon retreats from Moscow, 1935 Ethiopia stands alone, 1989 Guildford Four are cleared, 1985 First Blockbuster store opens, 1931 John le Carre is born, 1985 Take on Me music video helps Norways aHa reach the top the US pop charts, 1869 Construction begins on the Sutro Tunnel in Virginia City Nevada, 1796 Editorial accuses Jefferson of affair with slave, 1957 Rocket Richard scores 500 goals, 1965 Communists attack Plei Me Special Forces camp, 1972 Kissinger discusses draft peace treaty with President Thieu, 1914 First Battle of Ypres, 1943 Chinese and Suluks revolt against Japanese in North Borneo,


The Hard Earned Sleep

Average User Rating
Editor's Rating

Though it lasted for mere five minutes, this dream set me off the track for the day. I still can clearly recall almost every moment of it as though it had really happened with me.

It was a very tiring day as the practice for the oncoming Annual Sport's Meet was in full swing. You could hardly get time to sit as being a senior class, we had to assist the teachers in the preparations and make sure that all the events were being praticed properly. After a very hectic day, I really wanted to doze off as soon as I would reach home but I guess the misforutne was on my side because my mother had gone out and I had to keep awake to pick up my younger sister who would arrive from the school by evening and once I get to sleep, I will not wake up for at least 2 hours. I could not afford to take the risk of getting up late so that my mom would come bombarding on me if I'd get late enough to miss the bus.So I decided to stay awake and divert my mind by doing some workout and playing games on my mobile.

By the time my mom returned, I was really tired and asked my mom to serve dinner early because by no way was she going to allow me to sleep in the evening hours. I don't believe in the strange Hindu beliefs and rituals, and I mean to hurt no one but I really was getting fired up against the stupid person who had created this belief that if you sleep in the evening hours, you'd be captured by an evil spirit's will.

I was really tired by this time when I was reminded of the loads of Project work given to us which were to be submitted the very next week and I had to get started or else I would not be able to submit even one on time. Though finishing work at the last moment is my speciality which includes this essay too, I swear I did not even have the energy to write even 3 pages. So I kept the Project Work aside and started doing my homework and somehow finished it. By then, it was 9 o'clock and I begged my mom to serve dinner fast. I switched on the T.V. and put on my favourite reality show, eating my dinner as fast as I could, with secret naps in between. Though my favourite show was on,  which was of 1 hour I can tell that I hardly saw even 20 minutes of it.

After a very light meal, I washed my hands, brushed my teeth(though I had no mood to but I had to make an impression on my mom) and rushed to the bedroom as fast as I could. As soon as I laid down the doorbell rang and I could hear a lot of noises from outside the room. Not caring enough to see who it was I decided to go to sleep and try to keep the voices out of my head.Then I heard my mother calling out for me and I knew from that very moment that I could not sleep that day. But as soon as I got out of my room, I recieved the shock of my life. There she was, standing right in front of me looking at me with her jaws dropped just as mine. It was Tahrin, my best childhood friend. It was 6 years since we last met but I had never forgotten her. I would always regret the fact that I shifted and never had the chance to tell Tahrin that I would never return to school after the vacations.

We hugged each other as tightly as we could, a little hesitant but to our heart's fulfillment. I still could not believe that she was there standing right in front of me. We talked, we laughed, we chattered and by no means any of us had the intention of going to sleep. We were awake till about 3 a.m. talking about the moments we missed each other, our friends and about how things are working out and all that stuff. But then her mom came and told us to sleep and reminded me that I had to go to school in the morning.

She was going to stay with our family for one week and though this week was the most tiring one ever in my school experience, I never seemed to be interested to sleep enough because I could not miss this wonderful gift and wanted to live my past 6 years in this one week.

User Rating
Rate Me !